September 2012 at the JCFPL
September 2012 at the Jersey City Free Public Library
Next Library Board Meeting
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 @ 5:30 p.m.
Miller Branch Library
489 Bergen Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07304
Save the Date!!! LIBRARY FOUNDATION FUNDRAISER:
* Summer Dreams @ Michael Anthony’s – For Everyone: Thursday, September 13th – From 6 – 10 p.m.
Main Library. / Library Foundation OFFICERS: Michael A. Ryan, Chairman; Robert Burke, Vice Chairman; Joseph Panepinto, Jr., Treasurer; Eileen Gaughan, Recording Secretary. MEMBERS: Samantha Newman-Webster, Sandra J. Webster, Raquel Sharper, Phyllis Gordon, Roselyn Jackson, Alma Burnett, Paulette Gordon, Anthony Gardner, Cora Kerton, Sekina R. Ridley, Jermaine Pharmes, Melissa Banks-Shillingford and Executive Director Priscilla Gardner.
Save the Date!!! Jersey City’s Book Festival, A Tale of Our City:
* A Tale of Our City – For Everyone: Saturday, September 22nd – from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. / FREE!!! /
5th Annual Book Festival in Jersey City’s lushly beautiful, Victorian… Van Vorst Park / Featuring new authors & performers: Singer/Songwriters, Poets, including Spoken Word Artist Dujuana Sharese & rock ‘n’ roller Debra Devi, author of The Language of the Blues: From Alcorub to ZuZu.
* Biblioteca Criolla, Main Library, 472 Jersey Avenue, 4th Floor Jersey City, NJ 07302, 201-547-4541 –
Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month! For Adults: Meet the Author – “Hemingway on the Hudson” by Hemingway’s Cuban Son author Raúl Villarreal. * Author Reading * Literary Reflections * Art Exhibit * Digital Photographs * Book Signing * Q&A * Light Refreshments * / Wednesday, September 19, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Special Programs (cont’d):
* Biblioteca Criolla, Main Library, 472 Jersey Avenue, 4th Floor Jersey City, NJ 07302, 201-547-4541 –
Para Adultos: Conozca el Escritor – “Hemingway on the Hudson” por Hemingway’s Cuban Son escritor Raúl Villarreal. * Lectura Introductiva * Replaciones Literarias * Exhibición de Arte * Fotos Digitadas * Autografía Personalizada * Preguntas y Respuestas * Refrescos * / Miercoles, 19 de septiembre, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
* Five Corners, 678 Newark Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306, 201-547-4543 – For Children (grades K-3): Read to Ella! Ella loves children and loves listening to stories in the library! Come read your favorite stories to Ella, a very friendly dog. Ella is a Golden Retriever and a certified therapy dog. She will be accompanied by her trainer, Patricia Redden. Adults must accompany children under 8 years old and are expected to remain in the library during programs. / CHANGE IN TIME: Thursdays @ 3:30 p.m. (since July 19) / Children learning to read see a dog as a non-threatening, non-critical listener.
* Five Corners, 678 Newark Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306, 201-547-4543 – For Everyone – Poetry for the Community, featuring: Lyric Poetry by Elma Martin, with passages from her book, My Experience with the Paranormal. Free Verse & Short Stories by Juanita Colon. And much more!!! Share your own reminiscences/stories/poems with them… FREE. / This program is made possible in part by funds from the New Jersey State Council on the Arts/Department of State, a partner agency of the National Endowment for the Arts, and by funds from the National Endowment for the Arts, administered by the Hudson County Office of Cultural Affairs & Tourism, Thomas A. DeGise, County Executive, and the Board of Chosen Freeholders. / Friday, September 21, from 2:30 – 4:30 p.m.
* Greenville, 1841 Kennedy Blvd., Jersey City. 201-547-4553 – For Adults: Law Workshop. / Tuesday, September 18, from 6 – 7:30 p.m.
* Heights, 14 Zabriskie Street, Jersey City, NJ 07307, 201-547-4556 – For Adults: Meet the Author – Robert J. Woolsey, author of Husband in Waiting. Robert J. Woolsey will be a featured author at A Tale of Our City 2012, Jersey City’s book festival on Saturday, September 22 in Van Vorst Park. / Mr. Woolsey is a semi-retired Trusts and Estates attorney in New York and New Jersey. He was a Fulbright student in Germany in Classical Literature. After graduating from the University of Virginia Law School, the author served as a Briefing Officer for Army Intelligence at the Pentagon for two years during the Vietnam War. He has self-published an autobiography entitled, No Fighting in the War Room, based on that experience. Recently, he taught High School Latin for a year. Robert currently lives in Northern New Jersey, and his interests include travel, foreign languages, cooking and word games. / Thursday, September 13 @ 6 p.m.
Miller Branch Library Teen Center:
Miller, 489 Bergen Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07304, 201-547-4551 – For Parents & Teens (ages 13-18): Miller Branch Library Teen Center! / Founded to enrich the lives of Jersey City Teens by offering a comprehensive program to include quality leisure, social, and educational services in the form of both drop-in and organized activities / Come join!!!
Jersey City Historical Project, 4th Floor, Main, 472 Jersey Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07302, 201-547-6951 –
NEW Book: Young Frank Hague and the Lucky Horseshoe – Available at Barnes & Noble, online & in bookstores.
/ Permanent Schedule on JC1: Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays & Sundays @ 11 a.m. & 11 p.m. Videos rotate monthly, except January, May and December. September: The Eyes of St. Joseph. / On Comcast, Channel 51: Airing of NEW video, Invasion of the Reds. / Each Monday @ 5 p.m. and each Friday @ 8:30 p.m. / Airing of videos, by storyteller Bob Leach, Parade of the Shantytown Dead, The Eyes of St. Joseph (Mysterious Lights in a Church Steeple), and Hague Captures Kenny Killer: On Comcast cable in Jersey City, Channel 51: Times vary; programming now filler.
Jersey City Library Literacy Program, 1st Floor, 472 Jersey Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07305, 201-547-4518 – For Age 16 & Up: FREE Classes in Basic Literacy & Citizenship for ESL Conversational English speakers. / Jersey City Library Literacy Program. A United Way Member Agency.
Five Corners, 678 Newark Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306, 201-547-4543 – For Everyone: Falun Dafa Meditation / Monday evenings / 6 – 7:30 p.m. / Falun Dafa is practiced by over 100 million people worldwide. It is a high-level cultivation practice guided by the characteristics of the universe: Truthfulness, Benevolence, and Forbearance. “Cultivation” means, continuously striving to harmonize oneself with these universal principles. These are five sets of easy-to-learn gentle movements and meditation. FREE AND OPEN TO EVERYONE! For more information: www.falundafa.org.
Five Corners, 678 Newark Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306, 201-547-4543 – For Everyone: Hatha Yoga / Yoga Classes for Beginners / Mondays / 6:15 – 7:30 p.m. / Yoga Instructor: Julie Castner, RYT200, certified through a Yoga Alliance program in Mysore, India.
Five Corners, 678 Newark Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306, 201-547-4543 – For Adults: Kinship Caregiver Support Group – A Program at Five Corners Branch Library, presented in conjunction with the State of New Jersey Kinship Navigator Program. / Third Wednesday of the Month, from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Five Corners, 678 Newark Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306, 201-547-4543 – For Children (grades K-3): Read to Ella! Ella loves children and loves listening to stories in the library! Come read your favorite stories to Ella, a very friendly dog. Ella is a Golden Retriever and a certified therapy dog. She will be accompanied by her trainer, Patricia Redden. Adults must accompany children under 8 years old and are expected to remain in the library during programs. / CHANGE IN TIME: Thursdays @ 3:30 p.m. (since July 19) / Children learning to read see a dog as a non-threatening, non-critical listener.
Greenville, 1841 Kennedy Blvd., Jersey City. 201-547-4553 – For Children (ages 10 – 17 years old): Every Tuesdays @ 5 p.m. Vocal Training & Voice Instructions. Instructor: Angela Carter.
Greenville, 1841 Kennedy Blvd., Jersey City. 201-547-4553 – For Children (Grades 5 – 12): Glee Club Thursdays / Every Thursday, from 4 – 5 p.m., September through December / Members will perform during the Christmas holidays.
Greenville, 1841 Kennedy Blvd., Jersey City. 201-547-4553 – For Ladies: Crochet Club. / Mondays @ 3 p.m.
Miller, 489 Bergen Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07304, 201-547-4551 – For Everyone: Library Tours! / Fridays, from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. Take a tour of the Miller Branch Library to learn more about the building and its services. Reservations required for tours. Daycare centers, school programs, organizations… All welcome!!!
Miller, 489 Bergen Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07304, 201-547-4551 – For Adults Learning Spanish: Wednesdays, from 4 – 6 p.m. Spanish lessons – Back by popular demand!!!! Instructor: Mrs. Vilma Gomez.
Ongoing Programs (cont’d):
Miller, 489 Bergen Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07304, 201-547-4551 – For Young Adults: Free-Teens is in the house! It’s your space. It’s my space. It’s our space! Come join us! Every Wednesday, from 5 – 7 p.m. Stop at Miller Branch to learn more, and register.
Pavonia, 326 Eighth Street, Jersey City, NJ 07302, 201-547-4808 – For Adults: Monthly Book Club / Thursday,
September 13 @ 7:30 p.m. / Book Discussion: The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver.
West Bergen, 476 West Side Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07304, 201-547-4554 – For Ladies: Knitting & Crocheting Club / Wednesdays @ 10:30 a.m. / September 5, 12, 19 & 26. / All ladies welcome!
September Movies : www.jclibrary.org FREE
Cunningham, 275 Martin Luther King Drive, Jersey City. 201-547-4555 – For Seniors: Friday, September 14 @
10 a.m. A Thousand Words. / For Children: Saturday, September 8 @ 10:30 a.m. The Lorax.
Greenville, 1841 Kennedy Blvd., Jersey City. 201-547-4553 – For Children: Saturdays @ 1 p.m. Movies –
To be announced.
Five Corners, 678 Newark Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306, 201-547-4543 – For Adults: Wednesdays @ 1 p.m. September 5: The Vow. / September 12: You’ve Got Mail. / September 19: Circle of Friends. / September 26:
Heights, 14 Zabriskie Street, Jersey City, NJ 07307, 201-547-4556 – For Adults: Thursdays @ 1 p.m. / September 6: Friends with Kids. / September 13: A Little Bit of Heaven. / September 20: Art of Getting By. / September 27: Cadillac Records.
Pavonia, 326 Eighth Street, Jersey City, NJ 07302, 201-547-4808 – Mondays @ 5 p.m. / September 10: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. / September 17: Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. / September 24: The Descendants.
Have Fun with Digital Library!
The Jersey City Free Public Library offers the digital service, Digital Library – a collection of audio books, eBooks, music and video to download. Valid library cardholders who download the necessary software can check out and download digital titles anytime, anywhere by visiting http://jclibrary.org/digitallibrary.php. The great thing? At the end of the 10-day lending period, the digital titles automatically expire, which means, no one ever accumulates late fees or has to worry about returning damaged items.
WEBSITE LINK – “Health Info”:
NOW AVAILABLE!!! The Jersey City Free Public Library has linked directly with the document, “Responding to Public Health Emergencies, New Jersey’s Strategy.” Provided by the NJ Department of Health & Senior Services, Division of Health Infrastructure Preparedness (HIPER), through the Hudson Regional Health Commission. Log onto Jersey City Library website, www.jclibrary.org, CLICK on “Health Info” to access the American Cancer Society’s website. Library staff at the designated libraries have been training to navigate the Society’s website, for the benefit of the community. This staff training will help library patrons in two ways: Help them find the information they want from the American Cancer Society website, or have Library staff get the information needed for them.
Lending Dept. Closure
Summer Reading Program